USPS FCU is prepared to serve our members that have been impacted by the Federal Government shutdown. We’ve developed an emergency loan product with special terms and created additional services to support our members. If you are a Federal civilian employee (active or retired) who will not be receiving a paycheck or retirement check as a result of the Federal Government shutdown, you may be eligible to obtain a USPS FCU Furlough Loan and/or participate in some of the other ways we can help. Call us at 800-877-7328 or visit one of our local branches to let us help you. The following options will be offered to our members that were impacted.
USPS FCU’s Furlough Loan Assistance Program
- Furlough Loan - You may borrow up to $10,000 at a special rate of 4.00% APR* for up to a maximum of 24 months and payments will be deferred for the first 90 days. Call us at 800-877-7328 to apply for this loan.
Other Ways We Can Help
- Skip-a-Pay - Fees will be waived on all eligible loans. Click here to learn about eligibility and to complete the form.
- Payment Deferment** – We will work with you on existing loans or credit cards that you may have with USPS FCU that may not qualify for the skip-a-pay program. Loans must be current in order to apply. You will be required to sign an extension agreement in accordance with USPS FCU’s policy. Call us at 800-877-7328 for details.
- Withdrawal Penalty Fees Waived – Waived penalty fees for early withdrawal from club accounts or share certificates - so additional funds are available when needed1
- Free Financial Counseling – If you need assistance as a result of the Federal Government shutdown, call our financial partner GreenPath Financial Wellness at 1-877-337-3399. GreenPath counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (EST), Friday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Click here to learn more.
* APR = Annual Percentage Rate. Furlough loan is available to members that are in good on their USPS FCU account. Loans are subject to credit approval and verification of furlough. No payments required for the first 90 days of the loan. Interest will continue to accrue. Some additional restrictions may apply. Contact the Credit Union for complete details at 800-877-7328. USPS FCU reserves the right to withdraw or change this offer at any time.
**Payment extensions can be arranged on existing USPS FCU consumer loans and credit cards. USPS FCU Mortgage loan payments can be extended, but the escrow payments have to remain up to date on real estate taxes and insurance. Interest will continue to accrue. All loan payments must be current in order to qualify for extensions. An extension agreement must be signed, returned, and approved by USPS FCU. Payments made prior to an approved extension will not be reversed. Deferment of loan payments that carry monthly credit insurance premiums may affect your claim benefits. Payments that were previously skipped on a loan with credit insurance may also affect your claim benefits. Contact the Credit Union for further details regarding loans with insurance. USPS FCU reserves the right to withdraw or change this offer at any time.
1IRA certificates will be assessed an IRS early withdrawal penalty if under the age of 59 1/2. Please consult with your tax advisor.